Recertify by Earning 40 Contact Hours
Recertification for the BONENT-certified candidate using this option means that at least forty (40) contact hours during the four year certification process must be attained. This can be accomplished by:
Please read the bullet points under each group before listing your contact hours.
BONENT maintains final contact hour approval authority.
See Recertification Booklet (pdf)
Description of Groups A-D Contact Hours
- Attaining a minimum of twenty-five (25) contact hours in Group A
- Attaining the balance of fifteen (15) contact hours from among any combination of Groups A, B, C and D
Seminars, Webinars, BONENT Website CE & BONENT Approved Programs
This group includes or accepts nephrology-related programs that offer contact hours for nursing and technology.
- Credit is given according to the number of contact hours awarded.
- Hours listed in this section must focus on nephrology and be one of the following:
- A seminar that you physically attend
- A webinar (a seminar or other presentation that takes place on the internet, allowing participants in different locations to interact with the presenter during the presentation).
Online & Home Study Courses
NOT from BONENT Approved Programs
This group includes or accepts continuing education programs designed for self study
- Credit for these programs will be given according to the number of contact hours or continuing education units awarded to each program, including journal articles.
- Journal articles submitted for credit must be published during the four-year recertification period.
- A copy of the certificate awarded, including the date of completion, must be submitted as documentation of completion.
Academic Credit Courses
This group encompasses nursing and technology courses offered by an accredited educational institution. Courses may address such areas as:
Biology • Computer Science • Electronics • Management • Physics • Science
Chemistry • Education • Human Services • Nursing • Psychology • Sociology
One semester credit hour equals fifteen (15) contact hours; one-quarter credit hour equals ten (10) contact hours. An official transcript must be submitted to receive credit for these hours. Candidates for recertification must provide an official transcript or other documentation indicating successful completion of the course. See Recertification Booklet (pdf)
Presentations & Publications
If you wrote an article that was published in a professional publication or gave a nephrology-related presentation to a professional group or the general public, list your hours in this group. Writing an article, manuscript or chapter of a book equals 5 contact hours. Writing an entire book equals 15 contact hours.
One educational presentation (one hour in length) equals 3 contact hours (contact hours will only be awarded for the initial presentation of a program).
If you list contact hours in this group you must provide the following.
- An Abstract or outline of the presentation
- A copy of the printed program or a signed letter from the program chairperson
Professional Publications (professional journal, newsletter, or publishing house):
- A copy of the published article in the publication